What comes to mind when you hear the word leadership? If you are like most people, you automatically think of the business or corporate world. However, the Webster definition of leadership is, “the action to lead a group of people or an organization”. It does not say exclusively business or corporate ONLY. You can be a leader in your family, your church, your school, your charitable organization, your business and so many areas in your life. In fact, you are already doing this and may not be aware of it. Why would you limit this amazing opportunity to just your business?
I spent almost 36 years in the corporate world and have seen all types of leaders, the good, the bad and the ugly. I became a student of leadership, and I have observed so many outstanding leaders through the years, paying special attention to what makes them successful in every area of their lives. By applying what I learned from those role models, along with the wisdom, experience and life lessons that I gained along the way, I am a much better leader now as CEO of my own life, finally!
These five strategies are for you if:
- You feel like your life is leading you
- You are overwhelmed and overworked
- You would like to achieve greater success in your life
- You want to make a greater impact on others
- Rekindle your passions: “Life happens,” and many things that we love to do, always seem to take a back seat to the other demands on our time. Think about one activity that you are really enthusiastic about, and put that one activity back into your daily routine and pay close attention to how you feel, and the impact on you and others.
- Focus on the 80/20 Rule – “Perfect is the enemy of great”. We are all goal-driven and want to achieve perfection. Instead, focus on doing your very best 80% of the time, and the other 20% will take care of itself. Practice letting go and set your goals to be great, not perfect.
- Learn from others – Listening has become a “lost art”. It takes time to really “listen” and hear what another person is saying. Next time you are in a conversation and you are doing all the talking, try this technique and ask yourself –“ Why Am I Talking?” or say W.A.I.T, and see what happens, and expect a little magic.
- Find your balance – Most of us need a spreadsheet to keep up with all the things that are supposed to do. By putting some “ME time” on my calendar or somewhere in my day, just for me to do ONLY things that I want to do, I have begun to put some balance back into my life since I started this practice. Start small with 10 minutes and continue, and make sure that you keep your appointment with YOURSELF every day, no matter what, like the leader you are.
- Choose carefully – I never learned how to say “no, ” and that became a huge problem for me. I finally learned that when you say “yes” to something, you are automatically saying “no” to something else in your life. Remember that, consciously or unconsciously, you are already making these choices, and therefore you want to weigh those significant decisions carefully, as they might have a lasting impact on your life.
CONGRATULATIONS, you have taken the first steps toward “leading your life instead of your life leading you! Just choose one of the above and practice for one week, and you will see huge differences.
Please keep me posted on what you have learned and what works for you. I can’t wait to hear from you.