Wow, I still can’t believe its October 12th! I think that I just completely missed August and September. Does anyone else feel that way? It’s been a very busy year, personally and professionally. I have accomplished so many of my goals and there are still some left to achieve.
I used to think that my business as an entrepreneur was 360 degrees different than when I was at IBM. While there are many huge differences, there are many similarities as well. One of the major things that I learned at IBM was to always have goals and a plan on how to achieve those goals. Sometimes we “planned” too much and didn’t take enough action, but I am aware of that now.
We did not wait until December or even January to begin the planning process for the following year. That process started in August and was an iterative process. By November, we were booked for the next year.
While it was very tough to manage year-end achievements and look at the next year’s goals, it made a huge difference, and we didn’t lose January planning! Although, I used to really “whine” about fall plan, when I look back, it was a genius idea.
How about you? As you are speeding toward year-end, are you even thinking of goals for 2014? Do you have a 4th quarter game plan? I was not, but when I woke up today and realized that it’s October 6th, I am now getting mine started.
I am going to share a few quick tips from my “RAMP IT UPtm” program to help you with your 4th quarter game plan:
- Stop and review your 2013 goals and see what you have accomplished through September
- Prioritize and reset your year-end goals as your business has changed
- Develop your year-end forecast and be realistic on what you can accomplish
- Determine what you want to achieve in 1st quarter ONLY of 2014
- Identify what 3 actions must be completed before year-end to achieve your goals in 1st quarter
- Set your “draft” goals for 2014, based on your year-end projections for 2013
- CELEBRATE what you have achieved and ENJOY your success
- Review your 2014 plan and finalize
- Develop your action plan and roadmap to achieve your goals
This will give you a “head start” on 2014, and will help reduce your stress and year-end craziness. While this seems easy, it will help to “get away” for a few hours and really focus on developing your game plan. I promise that this will make your year-end and your 1st quarter next year, so much more productive and you can really achieve your goals.
Please let me know how if you have any questions or need help on putting your “4th quarter game plan” in play!
Wishing you all GREAT success, and I would love to hear about your game plan and your accomplishments!